Vegans don’t go without, we do it better. This is a holiday party favorite, converted for vegans. Simple, quick, and delicious.
- 8 slices of vegan bacon
- 16 dates
- 4 ounces of your favorite artisanal vegan cheese, or tofutti dairy free cream cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice the dates lengthwise on one side to create an opening. Remove the pit.
- Using a spoon, stuff a small amount of cheese into the cavity of each date and press the sides together to close.
- Cut the bacon slices in half. Wrap each date with a slice of bacon and secure with a toothpick.
- Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and spray with oil. Arrange finished dates evenly on the foil and bake for 10 minutes. Turn dates to their other side and bake for another 5-8 minutes, until browned to your liking. Remove from the oven, and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- Depending on the brand of vegan bacon, you may or may not be able to completely wrap the date. If your bacon is firmer in texture, folding half way around (like a hotdog bun) works too – as long as you can hold it together with the toothpick.
- You can substitute foil and oil with parchment paper.
- We typically serve with the toothpicks left in – it helps in picking them up.